doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dhdallas Charles Daly Action Plating? - 01/30/13 11:58 AM
I want a nice bright finish to the case. Would electroless nickel plating still allow the ornate lettering and scroll designs to show? I am going to have the barrels rust blued or browned.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Charles Daly Action Plating? - 01/30/13 01:16 PM
Why not chrome plate all the metal and paint the stock bright red?
Posted By: Franchi Re: Charles Daly Action Plating? - 01/30/13 01:37 PM
Hi dhallas:

Yours is a timely post as I was thinking about having some gun parts chromed with decorative chrome the other day.

I was thinking of a shotgun that had the receiver , trigger guard and perhaps other parts chromed not all at once! I was thinking that a small amount of chrome would perhaps look nice with dark barrels and a dark coloured stock. Of course one could put "too" much bright work on a gun and it may become garish and distasteful to some people.

I have a nice box lock that has deep engraving that has been nickel plated. This is a soft appearing finish that wears very well and as it wears, it seems to accent the engraving! I have been told that nickel does not wear well and it tarnishes easily. Is this true? I do not know but for me I find it quite attractive. Perhaps a soft "brushed" finish in a semi bright finish would work well with dark barrels and dark walnut.

Remember, this is a personal taste type of thing and all people will not agree on what is the best!

To me, one of the most hideous finishes that is placed on gun metal is colour case finishes! Lol Let the flames begin! Lol

Anyway, there is more than one to skin a cat!

Stay well,

Franchi
Posted By: keith Re: Charles Daly Action Plating? - 01/30/13 08:11 PM
I checked my calender. It is going to be Groundhog Day... not April Fools Day.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Charles Daly Action Plating? - 01/31/13 01:01 AM
I'd go for the "Blown" finish on the bbls..combo of Blue/brown .
Though some say it's not correct....?
But what do I know..??
Is that you Lowell?
Franc
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com