doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GregSY Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 03:31 AM
If a million monkeys sat pecking at the keys of a million typewriters, eventually they would compose all of Shakespeare's works. On their way, they would compose this description:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11657
Who's Del Greco? Did the famous 16th century painter work on this gun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Greco

OWD
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 04:30 AM
I think he was a flamenco dancer, or maybe I should have said flamingo dancer.
Posted By: Brad6260 Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 12:01 PM
Common guy's.
Del Greco.... you know....

That was Ed 1's crazy uncle the master painter who cut off one ear in a fit of artistic rage. Or he burned it off with his torch gun.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 01:34 PM
Cabela's-Worlds Outmost Forefitter...
Best,
Ted
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 01:46 PM
Well . . . I've seen "knowledgeable" types on this BB refer to "Belgium" Brownings, and "Prince of Whales" grips . . .
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 02:14 PM
"has optically moving horizontal and vertical grain,"

Uh.......huh......?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 02:17 PM
Cabela's 2007 reloading catalog is in my magazine rack in the dumper... The cover depicts a nice reloading bench scene, showing some of their fine wares... Large bottleneck rifle cases are being loaded... There's a can of RL-22 sitting right next to a can of Red Dot on the bench... What could go wrong?
Posted By: Hussey Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 03:11 PM
Wow, that is a really bad discription and what a steal at just $17,500.
Posted By: JM Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Who's Del Greco? Did the famous 16th century painter work on this gun?

Nah! He's a field goal kicker in the NFL!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 05:00 PM
Although the description is a bit wordy and flowery in places, the major defect in the ad is that it doesn't clarify or even suggest that the gun was not only refinished, but modified from its original configuration while at the DelGrego shop. "reamed" is not an attractive term when applied to a $17,500 shotgun. The possibility of this gun being an original GHE skeet are very slim, considering the 28" barrels and over 7 pound weight. I am still pondering the "DE" designation. The "optical properties" of the wood are the most benign defects in the wording of the ad. I wonder what year the factory last reassembled a Parker? Since we are probably referring to the Remington factory, I can't imagine that the last Parker has yet been reassembled there. If some fat cat had a friend in the Custom Shop, he could probably have his Parker "reassembled" there tomorrow afternoon.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 05:04 PM
That, and the mystery of what the barrel length actually is.
Posted By: David Hamilton Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 05:34 PM
Nobody mentioned the "Mint" Reamed barrels. Must be one of the Del Greco secret processes in which metal is actually removed and then added during the procedure. David
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 06:38 PM
For a nearly identical gun take a look at the Del Grego refinished skeet gun at Wildwoodguns.com in China Maine. I personally examined this Parker before Dick and Craig bought it. It was my judgement that it was a Del Grego upgrade from a VH gun (from the serial no.) but very nicely done and classic Del Grego work. It was offered to me for $3500 and I chose to pass on it, now Wildwood Guns is asking close to $6K for it. The gun is very nice and $10K cheaper than Cabela's asking price.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 08:29 PM
But, then, you would have to deal with Wildwood...
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Yogi 000 Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 08:31 PM
very funny thread. i'm glad i'm not the only one who finds cabella-cinderella's ads fictionalized fact. and their prices! pure mythology.

i guess there are alot of people out there with more money than common sense. too many real estate millionaires. buy a house for 200K, like in charleston and 3 years later they get offered 700K for the same house, so they accept it and make too much money for their own abilities. so they take 17.5K and buy a gun from cabellas, along with their whole outfit, then read hunting books while they watch TV and the gun sits in the cabinet. looking good. never gets fired so it doesn't matter how good the ream job is. or isn't. hahahaa
Posted By: J.B. Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 09:28 PM
I thought everyone knew Cabela's descriptions were useless without a translator...

Parker GHE. Grade DE, 20 gauge Skeet has 26", Special Steel, barrels, concave an' tapered solid rib wiff whitey front an' center beads. The receiver iz case colored wiff extra engraving, single trigger wiff da barrel selector in place o' da second trigger, non-automatic safety, an' blued, engraved trigger guard an' extended trigger guard tang. The high gloss finish, checkered grip, straight-hand stock, wiff one or two minor dings, has optically moving horizontal an' vertical grain, initial shield at da toe, an' uh checkered booty. The round tip, semi-beavertail fore end iz checkered wiff case colored, engraved, hardware. This Parker iz considered ta quite possibly be da very last "factory re-assembled" Parker. It has factory barrels, reamed by Larry Del Greco, an' has been completely refurbished by Del Greco. Letters an' substantial, verifiable, paperwork iz included.
Ya' dig?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 10:11 PM
Couldn't have done it without you!!
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Fred Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/19/07 10:16 PM
This is almost a good as "For sale, fine Parker shotgun by owner with checkered butt."
Posted By: Yogi 000 Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/20/07 05:35 PM
Del Grego not Del Greco... Larry Del Grego....

I think I went to high school with some Del Grego's... One of their uncles owned a sub shop... Now that must be some of the outstanding qualifications needed to ream out a double and contribute to the reasonable asking price of ONLY $17,500.00
Posted By: Ortolan Re: Monkeys, Cabela's, and Parkers - 02/20/07 06:07 PM
Larry Sr. must be spinning in his grave! KBM
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com