doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doverham Long term stock storage - 09/27/12 07:54 PM
I have restocked a 1918 Fox and am keeping the orginal stock, which appears to be in good condition, in case future custodians want it. Any suggestions for longterm storage? Should it be oiled or waxed occassionally or sealed up and left alone?

Thanks in advance, Doverham
Posted By: mike campbell Re: Long term stock storage - 09/27/12 11:15 PM
Hmmmm...was it in special storage the last 94 years?
Posted By: Doverham Re: Long term stock storage - 09/28/12 02:22 AM
dunno - wasn't on my watch.
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: Long term stock storage - 09/28/12 11:18 AM
I would coat it with "Snake Oil" or other preservative and wrap in plastic. This will prevent drying and cracking.
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: Birdog Re: Long term stock storage - 09/28/12 03:44 PM
Store the stock in a wooden box with a lid on a shelf in a dark closet or your gun safe. Remove the pad or butt plate and all metal. Check the stock for pests when you inspect and treat your guns etc.

Constants are the secret of storage. A relative humidity of 50-55% is more important than minor temperature fluctuations. But try and avoid major temperature spikes.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Long term stock storage - 09/28/12 04:56 PM
Place it in a shoebox, label it plainly, and put it in your clothes closet. Forget about it until you need it.
JR
Posted By: keith Re: Long term stock storage - 09/28/12 05:30 PM
Any cool dry place that would be safe for the complete gun will be fine. It seems you have the admirable intention of keeping the original wood in case you or any future owner wish to reunite them. In that event, it is always good to let your heirs know and to leave a note or letter in your gun safe with appropriate instructions.

I am currently involved in helping a late friend's wife sort out the loose ends in his gun collection so she can realize maximum value. While he was pretty good at keeping records and letting her know what was what while he was well, some sales and acquisitions were not recorded, and some guns which were disassembled for stock refinishing, etc. were left in a state that might have made them worth a whole lot less. Sometimes we can have a little control of what happens after we croak, but it takes more than good intentions.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Long term stock storage - 09/28/12 06:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Point taken about storing it in too obscure a place (but then again that is what led to all those hidden gem henhouse sxs!)
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com