doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: thomas carrier baker guns - 06/03/12 11:05 AM
i picked up a baker 12 ga at the northeast side x side and i`m trying to find some info.i know somewhere here i believe there was a baker research done,but i`ll be darned if i can find it!my new acqusition has a setter on left side n a pointer on right,so i would guess its some kind of graded gun.it looks alot like a lc smith with sidelocks n ebony foreend tip.but it doesnt look like the bakers in lc book.any help would be appreciated.thanks,
tom
Posted By: SamW Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 11:34 AM
Perhaps an R grade? Would have an R stamped on the barrel lug and water table. Daryl Hallquist will likely chime in...he is the Baker expert.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 12:20 PM
http://www.bakercollectors.com/

R with dog & bird

B with Damascus Twist and no bird

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17434920
Posted By: bakercollector Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 03:49 PM
If the serial number is in the 200,000 range then it is an R grade with either Damascus or Krupp Steel Barrels. If it has Twist Barrels it could be a B grade. A grade's would have Damascus barrels and similar engraving but the gun wouldn't be in the 200,000 range. Pictures would be helpful. Are you interested in selling the gun?
Posted By: thomas carrier Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 06:22 PM
its 4 digit serial#5407.looks the b grade but ther is nothing on water table other than serial#.also has a duck on trigger guard.prince of wales pistol grip,30" barrels and old hawkins pad.as soon as my buddy shows up with camera we`ll have pics.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 06:27 PM
I can't say never, but there is usually not a grade stamped on the water table. Many times (again not always) there will be a stamp on the lug of the barrels as to the type of barrels. A simple "T" for Twist or a "D" for Damascus. Of course the "T" would mean in this case a "B" grade or a "D" in this case would be am "A" grade. The ser. no. range puts it right in the "A" or "B" grade range.
Posted By: skeettx Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 07:05 PM
Pictures would be most helpful

Like these

Posted By: bakercollector Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 07:32 PM
Thomas,
I am almost certain that your gun is either an A or B grade depending on the barrels. As members above have stated, an A would have Damascus and a B would have twist. The lug is a common spot to check for a "D" or "T" but not all guns have those markings. here's some examples of Twist and Damascus.

Damascus

Twist
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 07:52 PM
B grade setter, again without the bird

BTW: Baker Gun & Forging "Twist" was an One Iron Crolle-Twist laminate they called "Best London Damascus Twist." Very similar pattern barrels are found on LC Smith Maker Baker & H grade Lefever guns.
Posted By: billgrill Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 08:14 PM
Gentlemen, I am trying to put togather a collection of American Made trap guns and in need of a Baker SxS to sit alongside of the Baker SBT I have. Any Leads would be greatly appreciated. Bill
Posted By: skeettx Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 08:15 PM
How do you identify a Baker Trap SXS?
Mike
Posted By: Chris Schotz Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 08:43 PM
As others have stated, you have either a "A" grade (damascus barrels), or "B" grade (twist) barrels.
Baker double barrel trap guns are quite rare and are typically higher in grade than a Paragon. Of course they made "A" & "B" grades and others with tight chokes and longer barrels that could used for trap shooting.

Billgrill - The straight grip Trap Gun is offered in the 1904 catalog. This model was only offered for a few years.

Chris
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 08:58 PM
BG&F offered a L grade trap

and a $75 Pigeon Gun ($100 with AE) first offered in 1897 with 30" steel barrels, straight grip, and engraved pigeons

and the later Baker Krupp ( I think Researcher has one)

Posted By: Researcher Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 09:14 PM
Briefly in 1897, Baker offered the $100 Pigeon Gun which was essentially a Paragon with a straight grip stock, steel barrels, and Pigeons in the engraving rather than dogs.

In 1905 Baker Gun & Forging Co. was advertising The Baker "Krupp" Grade with straight grip, single selective trigger, ejectors and a recoil pad as "a high grade up-to-date trap gun at a moderate price." By 1906 they were advertising the Grade "L" Trap or Pigeon Gun. In a catalogue of 1906 vintage that I have, the gun pictured in the 1905 ads is the Baker "Krupp" Grade "N", a $75 gun with ejectors $7.50 extra and single trigger $15; while the Baker "L" Grade is $125 with ejectors $7.50 extra and the single trigger $15 extra.
To my knowledge, there was never a Baker double offered with the extras of a vent rib and beavertail forearm that we have come to expect on double trap guns from Parker Bros., L.C. Smith, Ithaca, A.H. Fox, and the Winchester Model 21.
Posted By: bakercollector Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 09:15 PM
billgrill, Are you looking for any SxS Baker or specifically a L grade trap?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 09:55 PM
BTW: W.R. Crosby started 1899 with his "$30 Baker Hammerless" killing 24/25 at the GAH. By Sept. he had a new Paragon. He won the Live Bird Championship of Illinois and had the High Average at the Ill. State Tournament. In May he won the "E.C." Cup, lost it to Elliott in July, won it from Heikes in Oct., the lost it to Gilbert in December. He won the "Review Cup" from J.A.R. Elliott in October killing 98/100 live birds.

In 1900 he switched to a Smith, and in 1906 a Parker. He later used an Ithaca 5E SBT

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dfg2hmx7_337gqdvwccf
Posted By: billgrill Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 11:40 PM
Does not have to be a l grade. Just a gun that would fit into a trap gun collection. Bill
Posted By: gordon g Re: baker guns - 06/03/12 11:58 PM
Billgrill, sending an email.
Gordon
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: baker guns - 06/04/12 05:13 AM
Good Morning from Sweden.

I have never seen a double gun by Baker Gun and Forging Co. offered with a Beavertail. H D Folsom did offer the Beavertail for end on their double Paragon at one time [ca 1923]. I have seen only one of these. They altered the forend iron to accept greater recoil forces on the heavier for end.
Posted By: thomas carrier Re: baker guns - 06/04/12 12:13 PM
bakercollector,
did you get my email last nite?you can contact me @tcarrier@ithaca.edu
tom
Posted By: David Williamson Re: baker guns - 06/05/12 12:32 PM
Tom Carrier sent pictures of Baker gun.

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: baker guns - 06/05/12 12:40 PM
Tis' a B. Damascus-Twist and no boid.
Posted By: billgrill Re: baker guns - 06/06/12 12:48 AM
Is there a book out there on Bakers? Something with history of company and grades available?
Posted By: Researcher Re: baker guns - 06/06/12 02:11 AM
There is the Baker web site -- http://www.bakercollectors.com/

It is still being added to.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com