doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dick Jones otp Value of Lefevers. - 04/23/12 07:16 PM
I used to monitor this BBS and have been gone a long time. My writing has taken off and I'm just too busy doing other things to keep up with everything. I've missed it a bit but just there just not enough hours in a day to do everything.

I have written a peice for GunsAmerica and have been planning to put it in the BBS so here is is. I'm interested in your comments. The 25 tips are something I posted here several years ago and were the backbone of the article.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/buying-side-by-side-shotguns-right-25-tips/

As a result of not staying up on things, I'm aware I'm a little disadvantaged in pricing a couple of guns I'm considering selling. The guns are as follows:

Lefever EE 12 gauge with 30" barrrels and only very slight pitting in front of the right chamber. No dents or bulges, slight external pitting on the left sideplate, ejectors. Beautiful wood with scratches but no big problems, original buttplate and length.

Lefever G grade 16 gauge with ever so slight pitting at front of left chamber, all original with no problems except patina'd finish on the metal and a half inch cut off the stock with a non-original buttplate. It is really tight and seems low mileage.

If you're into Lefevers, please give me a rough idea of value?

Dick Jones
Posted By: DrBob Re: Value of Lefevers. - 04/23/12 08:37 PM
Send some photos to laca@hawaii.rr.com and I will give you my best estimate.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Value of Lefevers. - 04/23/12 09:01 PM
Dick I'm not trying to nit pick your article but, the following quote from one of your photos has bugged me for years. "but many poeple shoot low brass modern shotshells in sound Damascus guns". You do know that "low brass" does not mean low pressure don't you? I try and dispel this myth whenever I come across it. I'm making little headway.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Value of Lefevers. - 04/23/12 10:04 PM
Dick, if you want to fill out the 25 questions for each Lefever, I am sure someone on the board can help.
Posted By: Dick Jones otp Re: Value of Lefevers. - 04/24/12 12:35 AM
I should have titled the story Buying Classic American Shotguns since the only non-American guns were photos representing condition.

Dr Bob, I'll shoot some photos tommorow

Mike, Force of habit, you are certainly correct. Until the late 60s the hi brass, lo brass thing was pretty accurate. I never noticed it in the copy, guess that's part of being old.

Darrell, Other than chokes, I mentioned everything on my 25 item list that was a negitive. On the 16 bores measure .642 and .647 On the 12 it is .683 and .675. Both guns show a little brownish case color but mostly patina. The guns work well, the triggers feel good, the ejectors are properly timed on the EE, other than what's mentioned, there are no pits, dings, repairs, deep scratches or gouges, cracks bulges or dents. There's no proud metal, checkering is good and original, lettering sharp, good screws, No loosness, no vibro engraving, no missing beads.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Value of Lefevers. - 04/24/12 02:49 AM
Read your piece - very, very good.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com