doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: old colonel Engraved Snap Caps - 04/02/12 03:31 PM
Who can engrave snap caps to look factory professional?

I have a pair of Belgium guns from a firm long gone and out of business and I want to put properly engraved snap caps in the case with them. I found one place (http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/engraving%20styles.htm)that custom engraves snap caps, but the quality of font does not match production snaps like Purdey etc
Posted By: eightbore Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/02/12 03:54 PM
Original snap caps are not normally engraved. I don't know if Adams and Spencer are still in business, but they made wonderful snap caps. They may take custom orders. Their address and phone number are available on google. Peter Dyson sell nice snap caps with his headstamp. I don't know if he will take a special order. Let us know what you find out.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/02/12 06:39 PM
Galazan offers that service also Toby at Heritage Guns does as well.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/02/12 06:57 PM
As 8b correctly states, original snapcaps were not engraved, they were stamped and I don't know anybody who offers that except Helston Gunsmiths in the UK who will stamp up their brass snapcaps if you buy enough!
We can get soft metal ones CNC engraved but, as you noted, they are not the same as the stamped ones. I think it a little unfair to say the 'quality' doesn't match, it is the depth and style that is different IMHO.
Snag is that most nickel or chrome plated snapcaps are made of steel and would need engraving or stamping before the plating process.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/02/12 10:24 PM
I had some made with Quality Arms on them. The die cost me about 25 pounds many years ago.

John
Posted By: muchatrucha Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/03/12 12:58 AM
Visit:
http://www.centuryarms.com.au/docs/ssnapcaps.html

They have a number of stamped snap caps. I don't know what they charge for shipping.
Posted By: RedDot Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/07/12 09:03 AM
Turner Richards in the UK made them for every one. They retained all the stamps and stamped them to order
Posted By: muchatrucha Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/07/12 03:11 PM
I just ordered a pair for one of my Charles Lancasters along with a few other items from John at Century Arms. Nice fellow to do business with.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/08/12 12:49 PM
I can have a headstamp die or other stamping die made to spec. It isn't cheap, but I gather you aren't looking for a cheap solution. As Toby pointed out, any plating would have to be done after stamping (and polishing).

A friend owns a mid-sized fabrication biz which has many punch presses and pressbrakes. For entertainment, he's been making stamped coins and conchas for horse clubs that he rides with. He has the die made by a company he deals with in his biz. Pretty impressive (pun) stuff.
Posted By: Buddy Marson Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/08/12 01:09 PM
I have had snap caps engraved at a local shop that sells trophies. They sell bowling trophies ect and engrave trophies and name tags. It was very inexpensive and turned out perfect.
Posted By: Salopian Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/08/12 01:13 PM
Depends what you want, engraving in any font is easy. Stamping is a little harder but nothing is a problem in the workshop of the World.
Birmingham UK
Posted By: old colonel Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/08/12 01:19 PM
is there anyone in particular in Birmingham you would recommend for the job?
Posted By: Salopian Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/08/12 04:10 PM
Sir,
Do you require engraved caps?
Walking distance from the Gun Quarter in Birmingham is The Jewellery Quarter where engravers work all day long.
Probably any of the gunmakers in Price Street could get you anything you wish. If it becomes a problem you are welcome to email me with your requirements and I could sort it for you.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Engraved Snap Caps - 04/10/12 06:03 PM
yes I will send you a PM
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com