doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: cambo T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 01:46 AM
Anybody out there help me with some info? I was passed down some old doubles. One that I am interested in most is a T.R. Hasdell. It is engraved all over with gold inlay on both barrels. But I can not seem to find a serial number anywhere. I would like to sell it but have no idea of what it is worth. Any idea on this guns value? Make a offer if you wish. Can email pics if interested. The other guns I have are... (10ga. J. Livingston) (12ga. T.Parker New York) (12ga. Meriden) (10ga. New Parker) (12ga. C.G. Bonehill) and they all have to go...

Cambo, I have an interest in the Livingston. I sent you a PM, and or, my email is in my Profile.
Posted By: Phail Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 12:18 PM
Interested in Hasdell-are these pictures of the Hasdell?
Have several-they are my kind of gun
Thanks
Bill McPhail
mcphailcherokee@aol.com
864 246 5012
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 01:47 PM
"Yes" Phail the pictures above are of the Hasdell I am looking to get rid of.
Posted By: Phail Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 02:09 PM
This is not the usual type of Hasdell I am familiar with.
Would like to talk to you with the gun in your hands,
If you can email me you phone # I will call or you can call
me-
Will be gone tomorrow thru Monday
Office 3 864 234 5857
Home 864 246 5012
Thanks
Bill McPhail
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 03:52 PM
It was nice talking to you Bill. I learned a bunch. Hope the pics I emailed you were some help. If you need any other views let me know.
That Hasdell sure looks like a German gun really heavy engraving, nicely done, but does not look very English.
Cambo, can we see pics of the proof marks on the barrel flats and action part under the barrels, please, I'm really curious
Mike
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 05:02 PM
Hi Mike, There are no proof mark under the barrel flats or on the action anywhere to be seen. As well as no serial number.
Well, how strange is that? Thanks, Cambo
What's your take on that, Phail, no proof marks?
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 05:38 PM
I could not see any marks but then again I am not knowing what to look for either.

I think if you put some white crayon on the action flat to get into the stampings you will find there is a Crown over V and the Perron present. There are some letters to the left of the crown but I can't make them clear enough to read. My guess is a Belgium made gun. There are some other marks mostly obscured by the corrosion which may be decipherable with a little white crayon. Need to lay the barrels on their back and photo the barrel flats and area just forward of the flats. It appears there are some marks but at the present angle they are not readable.
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 06:15 PM
Thanks Jerry I will give that a try. My arms are not long enough to see as well as I used to.
Well, Cambo,thanks, they should be small stamps like: crossed swords, a "V" or two. "65" or "70", (chamber length)
I have no doubt someone more knowledgeable that me will be along to assist, and there are lots of those here. Those look like Damascus barrels, so the gun might be made 1880ish
The gold barrel bands are more appropriated on muzzle loader barrels.
Raimey, wherefore art though?
Mike
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 08:33 PM
Here are a couple more close shots. You can see some markings. Is this any help?

The tower mark is the Peron of Belgium.
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/14/12 08:49 PM
Thanks Daryl, Any idea of a ballpark value?
Although this is a beautifully engraved gun the value is still in the barrels. We really need to know their condition, length, chokes, bore size and wall thicknesses. If the barrels are good the value is higher. If not then the value suffers because the buyer would have to either sleeve, rebarrel or use tube liners of some sort. Thanks for showing us this beautiful gun though.
I have a SLNE marked James and Reynold London on the rib, Damascus barrels, English black powder proofmarks.
But the watertable is curved at the edges like this gun,and very rough, like this one.
I am sure my James and Reynolds is Belgian in origin.
Has anyone heard of this maker?
Mike
cambo; If possible I for one would be interested in seeing a few pics. of the Bonehill. Thanks --- John Can.
Posted By: PeteM Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/15/12 01:44 AM
The barrels are a crolle damascus. The Perron and the Crown over what appears to be an M are Belgian proof marks. That Crown M would be a very early inspector's mark. That style was used from 1853-1877.

According to Johnson's "Gunmakers of Illinois" Vol II:
Hasdell worked at 150 St John Road, London until he immigrated to Chicago. From 1871-1887 he was located at 20 E Madison.
In 1881 he was challenged in the American Field by LC Smith of Baker guns. LC Smith wrote a public letter in which he wagered $50 that his guns had a better choke than Hasdell.
Hasell made long taper chokes.

There is at least one example of a WC Scott with Hasdell's name on the barrels. An old ad shows him offering guns for $100-$300 (very expensive). He apparently had a real following in Chicago.

I am sure Phail can add much more.

So apparently Mr Hasdell could source both English and Belgian parts / guns. The Philadelphia Exposition of 1876 opened the door to many suppliers.

Pete
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/15/12 02:05 AM
Wow thanks for the great info. I did look at the bores today. It was the first time I have had the thing apart,and they both look like chrome with no streaks or pitting whatsoever. If you are interested I can email more pics. It needs to go to a good home.
Originally Posted By: cambo
Thanks Daryl, Any idea of a ballpark value?

5 to 8 hundred.
cambo - I'd like to see more pics of the Hasdell also. And if you'vegot them, I'd be very interested seeing the Bonehill as well.

I'll send you a PM with my email address.

Many Thanks - Marc
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/15/12 04:29 AM
Hey Marc, I will get you some pics out of the Hasdell. Thanks for the interest.
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/15/12 01:00 PM
Sorry John but the Bonehill was sold yesterday. The Hasdell is still for sale if you are interested. But I thank you for your interest.
Cambo,
Because you're new to this forum, I'm not trying to be rude or disparage your thread in any way, but I do hope that you are aware that on this board it's proper to send Dave $10 for any gun you sell because of this thread.
Steve
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/15/12 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Cambo,
Because you're new to this forum, I'm not trying to be rude or disparage your thread in any way, but I do hope that you are aware that on this board it's proper to send Dave $10 for any gun you sell because of this thread.
Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. The Bonehill was sold offsite to my neighbor yesterday. The guns are also being sold locally. But if any of the guns do sell from the use of this site, you can rest assured that I will be more than happy to send a finders fee to Dave. It would be well worth it. Thanks again.
Posted By: max Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/15/12 02:54 PM

I sent you a private email regarding the Hasdell.

Regards
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/15/12 05:57 PM
never received your pm max
Cambo check your e-mail. Thanks.
Mike, I found your James & Reynolds listed at 8, George Street, Minories, London 1905 to 1910. Lagopus.....
Thanks, Lagopus, very interesting. The Damascus barrels and black powder proof marks indicated manufacture prior to that date. The locks are very Belgian lookibng as well
I am having e-mail problems with pics with this new PC.
I'll take some pics and see if I can post them with my wife's I Pad 2. She is rather niggled that there is an I Pad 3 out this week, she only just got her I Pad 2!
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/16/12 01:54 PM
Max, did you get the pics???
Posted By: max Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 03/16/12 02:14 PM

No, you might consider posting more pictures and information on the guns for sale section of this site.

Regards,

Max
where are the pics of this gun? I have been told this gun was here with lots of pics.
Posted By: cambo Re: T.R. Hasdell highly engraved double value - 04/10/12 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: chissel
where are the pics of this gun? I have been told this gun was here with lots of pics.

email for pics dragrace@tds.net

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com