doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Franc Otte Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/15/11 11:46 PM
I find the so called Celtic engraving style very pleasing to look at, those lovely knots, stylized animals etc.
A nice change from the usual (though , of course beautiful) stuff
Never seen one in the flesh..just the odd one in books, & one Alex Marin on one site.
Anyone got a nice example with close up of action pic they could throw up??
Anyone else like this engraving?
Franc
Posted By: Henrique Menezes Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/16/11 12:05 AM
Mckay Brown o/u with celtic engraving is number one in my wish list. Not going to happen in the near future frown
Check here for nice
examples Mckay brown :http://www.mckaybrown.com/www.mckaybrown.com/Engraving.html
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/16/11 04:24 PM
The new K-80 Celtic Scroll is perhaps the dumbest looking engraving I've ever seen.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/16/11 04:36 PM
The K Gun makes me think I could be an engraver....today.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/16/11 06:50 PM
H&H used to offer a Celtic pattern in the early 20th c. I saw one a year or so ago in their New York gunroom and rather liked it.
Posted By: improved modified Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/16/11 06:57 PM
I like it.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/16/11 09:11 PM
http://www.krieghoff.co.uk/760.html

ewwwwwww!!!!!!!!:)
Posted By: eightbore Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/16/11 10:48 PM
What did I tell you?
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/16/11 11:11 PM
Some are better (way Better) than others. I like David McKay Brown's interpretation.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/17/11 04:54 AM
Google name of provincial gunmaker Thomas Horsley and you will surely find some nice examples of Celtic-style ornamentation.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/17/11 08:37 AM
The engraving on that Krieghoff is nothing like proper Celtic Knott Work as such designs are correctly called. The components are far too widely spaced, where they should be close together. It certainly appears that whoever came up with this design picked up several totally different patterns from some source and lumped them together. There is a major error in the centrepiece engraving in that one belt or strap is shown overlapping three others. This would never happen in Celtic Knot Work they would be interwoven. One mark out of ten from me.

An engraver cannot afford to make a mistake carrying out knot work, as an error stands out like a sore thumb. Most Knot Work designs are at least 1,500 years old in origin and can be found in ancient manuscripts, illuminated religious illustrations such as the Lindisfarne Gospels and Book of Kells, Anglo Saxon Jewellery, gravestones, monuments, tapestries, and weaponry of the time. It was in use for several centuries as decoration or ornamentation.

Sadly like many srt forms it is labour intensive and therefore today very expensive, if done correctly.

Harry
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Celtic Engraving, anyone? - 09/17/11 09:26 AM
Right , the k80 stuff is pure rottem & doesn't count, ...
"Knot" smile what I had in mind atall atall
franc
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com