doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bux Ithaca Flues 1913 special grade 1? - 08/03/11 07:36 PM
I have what I believe to be a special grade 1... I checked the serial number and it is said to be made in 1913. It has 2 sets of barrels with both sets of serial numbers matching receiver and fore end. I have pics but do not know how to uplaod them to this forum...
Posted By: Researcher Re: Ithaca Flues 1913 special grade 1? - 08/03/11 09:53 PM
We've already gone over this on the Shotgunworld BBS. If it has "Smokeless Powder Steel" barrels and a half pistol grip stock, it is a Field Grade.

If it has barrels marked "Cockerill Steel" and a capped full pistol grip it is a No. 1 Special.

email the pictures to AHFCA@comcast.net and I'll post them.
So- what is the basic difference(s) in a Ithaca hammerless 12 with Nitro steel barrels- Lewis-Manier-Crass- and then Flues??
Posted By: Researcher Re: Ithaca Flues 1913 special grade 1? - 08/04/11 08:58 PM
The Crass Model Ithaca Double (1888 to 1901) used V-Springs, an underbolt with a dollshead rib extension, and later just a plain rib extension. The Lewis Model (1901 to 1906) continued the use of a V-mainsprings and a leaf sear spring, but added a bolt through the rib extension. The Minier Model (1906 to 1908) introduced the use of coil mainsprings and added a second bolt on the rib extension --

From September 1907 Field and Stream.

The Flues Model (1908 to 1926) simplified the use of coil mainsprings, and retained the three-bolts of the Minier --

From May 1909 Field and Stream.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com