doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: wburns Restocking my Ithaca Grade 3 Lewis - 05/21/11 10:02 PM
Well after a couple of years, I decided to get off my rear end again and restock a gun. I have done a few rifles and shotguns in the past and really enjoyed it. After our house was flooded in 2009 I lost enthusiasm for doing this type of work when my shop was destroyed. I finally am in the mood again and this last winter ended up unexpectedly buying a 1904 Ithaca Lewis Grade 3. I knew the gun had a few issues, one of them being that the stock was not correct for the gun. I tinkered with the mechanics of the gun and have it working flawlessly again. Someone in the past used an Ithaca Flues stock which had to be modified in the tang area in order for it to fit. I set about searching for a replacement stock and forearm since the forearm has a crack in it as well. I ended up ordering a semi-inletted stock from Gunstocks Inc. on January 1st, and just received it on Wednesday. I ordered the stock one step below the exhibition grade, due to I wanted to try and stay with the character of wood which was originally found on a gun of this Grade. I think Ed did a great job of finding something fancy but not overdone. I plan to post pictures of the process as it progresses. I will be adding an original hard butt plate and grip cap. In addition I will be reusing the ebony tip from the original forearm. I would have liked to salvage the forearm but it has been cracked in the past and repaired with a dowel. Below are some photos of the stock and forearm.

My goal is a restoration as close as I can come in finish and style.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Restocking my Ithaca Grade 3 Lewis - 05/21/11 10:51 PM
Wipe a little linseed on the stock so we can see the real color and grain.
JR
Posted By: Bill Davis Re: Restocking my Ithaca Grade 3 Lewis - 05/21/11 11:30 PM
This will be fun to watch. Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: wburns Re: Restocking my Ithaca Grade 3 Lewis - 05/22/11 01:27 AM
I would but on the road for work a few days. Will try when I get back later in the week.
Posted By: tunes Re: Restocking my Ithaca Grade 3 Lewis - 05/22/11 03:05 AM
Nice looking wood!! Good luck with your project.

tunes
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Restocking my Ithaca Grade 3 Lewis - 05/22/11 10:19 PM
Are you going to take that on your trip to Africa???
That is a beautiful piece of wood.
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Restocking my Ithaca Grade 3 Lewis - 05/29/11 11:16 PM
Yes, those bits of wood looks like they'll shout at ya' when some grease is rubbed on
Lovely!
Show us when it's done!
franc
Posted By: wburns Re: Restocking my Ithaca Grade 3 Lewis - 05/30/11 01:44 AM
Thanks guys! I will keep you posted. treblig1958, she won't be going with me to Africa. I probably won't be finished until around September.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com