doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: chopperlump Sidelock Myths - 03/25/11 01:42 AM
For some reason. among many of the cognicenti, there is the belief that guns with wood right up the the fences are superior to those not so stocked. What do you think? Chops
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 01:55 AM
I think we spend far too much time upon minutia. Ditto the bit about a lug that penetrates the frame.
I used to buy into the whole "sidelocks are superior" er, "myth", I think is what you mean, but I'm pretty sure Zutz, I believe, said that fit was more important than hype about gun types.
Truer words were never penned.
A bird killed with a sidelock isn't any deader than one killed with a boxlock. Or, hell, a pump, for that matter.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:07 AM
Ted, I agree. For that matter a J.C. Higgins single shot barn gun is equal to a London best. Just wanted to see who else bought into the myth. Chops
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:28 AM
Yeah, and my grandson's first grade art work is better than the Mona Lisa.

Stan
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:30 AM
Da Vinci was in first grade, at one time....

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:54 AM
The point that is often missed is that best work guns usually closely followed the prevailing style of the day. Stocked-to-the-fences is a style that supplanted the flatback style. After STTF became accepted, flatback was relegated to lower original quality grades. Flatback SL's ofbest work OQ made prior to this shift in style are still best work guns. However, an "A" grade SL, flatback of STTF,is not a best work gun; then, now, or ever. So, the presence of a flatback, while not an invariable mark of lower OQ, is a signal to determine the guns OQ before shelling out best work gun money. Same for lump through the floor plate.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 03:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Yeah, and my grandson's first grade art work is better than the Mona Lisa.

Stan

I'm not kidding.

Any debate?

Stan
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 04:14 AM
The Rigby vertical-bolt action aka"rising-bite" was made into the 1930s. It wasn't stocked-to-the-fences and had a pierced receiver. They were the foundation for Rigby's "best" side-by-side rifles and shotguns.
Posted By: 775 Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 04:16 AM
That is precious Stan, what a blessing to be on the receiving end of that!

Hope you get to follow up with a hunting report come September:)

Mark
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 04:31 AM
Thats awesome! A true masterpiece. Nothing to debate :-)

Dustin
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 08:49 AM
Love that Stan smile
Posted By: popplecop Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 01:15 PM
Stan, great post, many thanks.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 01:21 PM
OMG Stan.....save that for ever. Kids are great!!
I encourage my grandkids to making drawings for me. They come up with some real doozies!!!!!
Posted By: skeettx Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:05 PM
Stan, will you adopt me????
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:19 PM
Boss until 1910 or there abouts and Steven Grant into much later times were not stocked to the fences.
Posted By: HackCW Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:21 PM
I'm with Stan. That is great artwork.

Hack
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:44 PM
I'd rather look at Stans grandkids artwork than talk about the b.s. of what makes a "best" gun. If you know your guns well enough, when you see a "best" grade gun, you know it, regardless of maker, country, action type, bells and whistles, etc. Is it ok to say that the definition of a best gun is the end product of a gunmakers pinnacle of craftsmanship. There came a time in gunmaking history where everyones "best" gun could be compared to the work of their contemporaries and be judged as equal. The only thing that could seperate maker from maker was a particular house style, and that's about it. For one to say that Grant, Rigby, Lancaster, Churchill, Pape, Beesley, Greener, Scott, Lang, Powell, HB&Playfair, or many small provincial makers couldn't produce a gun on the same level as "the big 4" in London is just ridiculous. Well, to me its ridiculous. I suppose to some upper-cruster it wouldnt be though, this would probably be the same type individual who believes that none of the big 4 ever turned out a lemon or heaven forbid an "average" gun.

Dustin
Posted By: JayCee Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
I'd rather look at Stans grandkids artwork than talk about the b.s. of what makes a "best" gun.

Me too.

Great grandson Stan! Congratulate him for me.

JC
Posted By: Birdog Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 03:15 PM
The kid's got a future, Stan.
So,did you frame it yet.
Posted By: Birdog Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 03:17 PM
Well said Dustin. Buy the gun.
Posted By: Philbert Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 03:31 PM
Best guns are always sidelock, STTF and free of a pierced receiver. All that other well made stuff is just junk. Stay away from it. Leave them for the guys who can't afford a "proper" gun......like me. :-)
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 03:37 PM
I agree with Philbert, boxlocks are just plain funny looking!!
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I agree with Philbert, boxlocks are just plain funny looking!!

I know right. Especially Harkoms, I mean, how much "fugly" can possibly be built into a gun?? Harkom boxlocks take the cake when it comes to really foul aesthetics. wink

Dustin
Posted By: canvasback Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 04:22 PM
I'm quite a number of years away from having grandsons (I hope) but I sure hope to get a bit of art like Stan got. Makes me more jealous than any gun I've seen. LOL

You are a lucky man Stan!
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 05:07 PM
Dustin, you got me on that one, haven’t seen one of those. But, look no further than the New Ithaca Gun(?) the boxlock with exposed hammers, now that is FUGLY!!!
Sidelocks have been around for hundreds of years BEFORE Boxlocks because that’s how guns naturally evolved through the ages and sidelocks look good with or without exposed hammers. No?

Posted By: jerry66stl Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 05:16 PM
One of my hunting partners had the right sidelock "fall off" his Spanish Grulla (and lost) while hunting this fall. The gun is now back in Spain, being repaired. Cost will exceed $1k.

Not a common occurence, but it does occasionally happen.

JERRY
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 06:11 PM
There are surely pros and cons to each type but I find double barrel firearms with side-lock mechanisms to be more aesthetically appealing.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 06:23 PM
Stan, he will be a great shot with your instructions! Bobby
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/25/11 08:16 PM
Here he is a few weeks ago about to smoke a high incoming clay with his .410 Stoeger Uplander S x S "best gun". He'll be graduating to a 20 by next dove season.

My apologies chopperlump, and others, if I hijacked your thread. It was not my intention. I'll try to be more careful about that.

Stan
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Sidelock Myths - 03/26/11 12:00 AM
I'll take another one of these over any sidelock ever made, stocked to the fences or not.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Sidelock Myths - 03/26/11 12:26 AM
Well, Bob, you know what they say at Graceland-you can't buy good taste. Bet jOe has killed a bunch of time there, BTW.
Really nice gun, thanks for sharing.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/26/11 02:05 AM
Stan, I'll bet your heart swelled up so much it nearly broke a rib when you saw that. You,re right, THAT's art!
Posted By: Mike Bailey Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/28/11 08:06 AM
Jerry66, how in Gods name does a sidelock "fall off in the field" ????????? best, Mike
Posted By: redgrouse Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/28/11 09:59 AM
Bob, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
I totally agree with your taste. Well I would do a I too own and use a Round Action.
Posted By: Gnomon Re: Sidelock Miths - 03/28/11 11:10 AM
Originally Posted By: jerry66stl
One of my hunting partners had the right sidelock "fall off" his Spanish Grulla (and lost) while hunting this fall. The gun is now back in Spain, being repaired. Cost will exceed $1k.

Not a common occurence, but it does occasionally happen.

JERRY

Yeah, I know a guy whose stock fell off and he didn't notice it for a long time and then couldn't find it. He had to send the gun back to Germany and it cost him more than 50 bucks for a new one
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com