doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: royrogers Leopold Bernard - 02/23/11 11:58 PM
Hello again Gentlemen
I am ready to post some pics of this side by side.All I need now is to know how lol.I have the pics on Picasa and are ready to up load need to know where they need to go ??.Thanks in advance Roy
Posted By: royrogers Re: Leopold Bernard - 02/24/11 12:31 AM
https://picasaweb.google.com/107047024577867304218/LeopoldBernard?authkey=Gv1sRgCNnq8KSNvcXfRw#

I have posted the pictures at this link,I will leave them up for awhile.Again Gentlemen thanks for all your help this an awesome web site.Roy Rogers
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Leopold Bernard - 02/24/11 12:46 AM
Wish I could be of more help Robert, but here's a better image of the maker's mark

Someone here will ID it for you.
Posted By: PeteM Re: Leopold Bernard - 02/24/11 01:51 AM
Post deleted to avoid confusion.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Leopold Bernard - 02/24/11 02:33 AM
At a quick glance the fuzzy marks are post July 30th, 1897 Paris preliminary marks and subsequent final proof marks with L Bernard's makers mark. I'd guess it was fabricated in Paris. The brace of crowned sailboat in a shield may note re-enforced proof of longarm.

The encircled EP is a Paris mark and not Pieper in this case. Brace usually denotes re-enforced proof of tube.

Kind Regards

Raimey
rse
Posted By: PeteM Re: Leopold Bernard - 02/24/11 12:14 PM
Nice catch Raimey. You are correct of course.

Pete
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Leopold Bernard - 02/25/11 12:57 AM
I concur with Raimey,the E.P.in a circle is a Paris mark For reinforced proof.As a matter of interest,This mark appears On a French sidelock by H.Faure Le Page,with barrels by Bernard. Confimation of the barrel maker is verified because the barrel flats are stamped;"Leopold Bernard Cannonier A.Paris."
Posted By: royrogers Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/12/11 01:34 PM
Good morning Gentlemen
First I want to thank all who as given me this info it is greatly appreciated.If I may inquire some more,is there any way to confirm the maker of this long arm??.I can only assume by looking at pics,this gun looks to be made by Le page it resembles
the pics in many ways,the number one in gold depicts one of a set
I would assume.That number looks very similar to the numbers on the pictures I have seen of his work.Again thanks in advance of all your help Roy Rogers
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/12/11 01:54 PM
Couple points: First, I see a 2 3/4, which tells me the gun's chambers have likely been lengthened, probably in the States. French chamber length often isn't marked, but if it is--other than on guns specifically made for export--the mark would be 70MM for a 2 3/4" gun. Also, the proof was with smokeless powder M (the PM mark), which means the gun could be no more recent than 1914. Since that date, only smokeless powder T (PT) has been used for proof.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/12/11 02:35 PM
Rene Leclerc and Bertrand Germain Leopold Bernard (1832-1867) were barrel makers in Paris in the early 1800s. Bernard's gun and barrel making factory ceased operation in 1890.
http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20francaise/artisans%20a%20b/a%20bernard%20leopold%20gb.htm

I believe Geno posted this Matska with fluid steel Bernard barrels, but I don't know the date of production

It's possible someone like E. Heuse-Lemoine could have purchased the name. Here's another Matska, with HL barrels and the marks are very similar

Posted By: L. Brown Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/13/11 01:12 PM
There's something amiss here. Roy's gun shows both Paris proofhouse marks and the PM mark. The Paris proofhouse did not exist prior to 1897, and proof with semismokeless powder M (PM) also began in the late 1890's. I'm thinking that Bernard barrels were still being made into the early 20th century, although I'm not positive. If they stopped production in 1890, then the only possibility would be a later reproof.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/14/11 11:49 AM
Bringing this one back up. Any other information on when Bernard barrel production stopped, or an explanation of why the proofmarks don't fit with the 1890 date?
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/14/11 01:56 PM
There is always the possibility of a remaining supply of unfinished Bernard barrel blanks used in the manufacture of a gun made well after the end of Bernard barrel production.
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/15/11 02:29 AM
Hi I believe Drew's first picture is from my Roblin bar in the wood hammerless with steel barrels. Unknown date of manu belived to be in the 1890's.

Jeff G.
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/15/11 04:12 AM
Confirmed those are my Roblin's steel barrels.

Jeff G.
Posted By: WildCattle Re: Leopold Bernard - 03/15/11 04:23 AM
I have a Rieger (successeur Lefaucheux) double rifle in 8mm Lebel with L Bernard barrels and an 1898 date.
WC
Posted By: royrogers Re: Leopold Bernard - 04/06/11 02:42 PM
Good morning Gentlemen
I have another fleeting moment of time and an other question about this long arm,could some one tell me about the marks on bottom of the barrels that look like a butterfly,I just can't quite grasp the idea of what initials they may be or if they are at all.Again Gentlemen thank you ever so much for all your help,I just love this web site,you all have a good day. Thanks Roy
Posted By: WildCattle Re: Leopold Bernard - 04/06/11 08:37 PM
The "Butterfly" is the Paris unfinished barrel proof mark.
i.e. similar to the provisional proof mark for the British: unassembled, unchambered tubes.
WC-
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com