doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ballistix999 1914 Charles Lancaster sidelock - 10/01/10 10:31 PM
Hi fellas, just started work on cleaning up the action to this gun. I always like the look of this vintage of gun and Charles Lancaster is a particular favourite. Here are some pics of the action...more as usual over at my blog!

Posted By: PA24 Re: 1914 Charles Lancaster sidelock - 10/01/10 10:53 PM
T-

Now that is a handsome gun there mate......... laugh

Very nice profile on Lancasters in my opinion.....

Cheers,
Posted By: Sliver Re: 1914 Charles Lancaster sidelock - 10/02/10 01:58 AM
Beautiful action. The metal looks very clean. Did you polish it?
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: 1914 Charles Lancaster sidelock - 10/02/10 07:40 AM
Hi silver, no didn't polish it at all, will give it a bit of attention in that direction but not much.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: 1914 Charles Lancaster sidelock - 10/03/10 04:18 AM
If I may be so bold, what do you use when reconditioning the steel on these guns? Do you use a light wax polish? One reason I ask is that for years I've been using Renaissance wax, mostly on wood but on guns of a lesser, shall we say, status I've used it on steel. It seems to do too good a job on the steel, if you know what I mean, but for wood I like it. It's been touted here and there and I've always wondered how much is hype (ala the price) and wanted to know from one who actually restores guns what the straight dope is.
Posted By: Ballistix999 Re: 1914 Charles Lancaster sidelock - 10/03/10 08:19 AM
For me it depends on the gun. Usually light wire wool.For something in poor condition I've been known to use glass beads in a light blaster. That's good for early prep and corrosion removal. In terms of the actual finishing, which I think you are asking, plain old gun oil. I've never lacquered actions or the like.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com