doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HunterOneTrigger Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 09/28/10 10:27 PM
Can anyone shed any light on the Baker Paragon grade? I recently purchased a 20 gauge with ejectors but can't really find much about the gun. Old catalogs show it being the highest grade at one point but that's about all I can find. I'm an L.C. Smith freak so this is a bit new to me. Thanks much, Jerry Andrews
Posted By: skeettx Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 09/28/10 10:34 PM
Does yours look like this?

Mine is a 12 gauge with single trigger and ejectors

Mike
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 09/28/10 10:47 PM
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17434920
Posted By: HunterOneTrigger Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 09/28/10 11:09 PM
Thanks guys, my does look exactly like that one. I appreciate the help, thanks much, Jerry
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 09/28/10 11:27 PM
Jerry, what is the serial no. of your gun ? Is the receiver black, rather than color casehardened ? How do you know your gun is a Paragon ? Some pictures would allow more info on your gun.
Posted By: Big Oak Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 09/29/10 01:07 PM

Thankyou very much DH, for that informative post,have been trying to pin down (somewhat) a B grade 16, # 44XX.
Thanks again
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 09/29/10 09:11 PM
Big Oak, what do you want "pinned down" ?
Posted By: Big Oak Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 10/01/10 12:21 PM

Daryl,The grade info I have been able to locate on the net has
been at least somewhat confusing,the gun I have is identical
to the B grade currently listed on Gunbroker.com.
Is there actually
a year to year serial # list.
Thanks much
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 10/01/10 02:30 PM
No year to year list , except from tidbits of info I have picked up over the years. My info pegs your gun in 1901, give or take a year.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 10/01/10 06:05 PM
Back to the original question, the 20-gauge was only added to the Baker line after H&D Folsom Arms Co. bought Baker. A Paragon of the Folsom era was like this, not at all like the Baker Paragons prior to 1909 --

Around 1909, the Baker Gun & Forging Co. began introducing new models. They still and a Standard Paragon --

And, they also introduced a Baker New Paragon Grade--Model Nineteen-Nine --

By the next Baker Gun & Forging Co. catalogue I have (circa 1915?) the Paragon looks similar to the one offered in the Folsom years after 1919.

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 10/01/10 06:19 PM
Researcher, that is why I asked the questions to Jerry. He said his gun looked just like the one posted by skeettx, but I think that highly improbable, unless Jerry's gun is actually a 16 ga. If it's a 20 ga. and Folsom did make some, it does not look like skeettx's gun at all. We'll see if we hear more about Jerry's gun.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 10/26/10 01:57 PM
The 20 ga. Paragon is now on a gun auction site. It is not a gun by Baker Gun and Forging Co., but is a Folsom made Paragon with a black receiver and finish and engraving are not similar to skeettx's gun. No 20 ga. Paragons were ever advertized by Baker Gun and Forging Co. and none have ever been seen.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Baker Paragon 20 gauge - 10/26/10 11:28 PM
I find it interesting that it is marked Paragon Ejector

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=196560729

I wonder if the reserve will be met?

Enjoy the day
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com