doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: texasbilly Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/16/10 01:51 AM
If a SxS shotgun exhibits a 30/70 pattern from both barrels, can the barrels be flexed to create a 60/40 pattern? If so, who does this work?
Posted By: Patriot USA Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/16/10 02:00 AM
What you need is for your cheek to be higher on the comb. Get some mole skin at the drug store; put a piece on; pattern. If it's not high enough, put another piece on etc. just to find out what you need. Then have the stock bent upward that amount; cost about $125-150.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/16/10 12:12 PM
Believe it or not I've got one that shoots too high....how much will 1/8" off the front half of the comb lower the point of impact on a 32" SxS at 40 yards ?

Right now it shoots almost the full pattern high at 40 yards.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/16/10 12:40 PM
I've had guns that do that too, and had some luck 'floating' the targets (shooting under them). I forgot to do that a coupla Springs ago when two big Gobblers crossed their necks out in front of me, and I missed'em both. Had to have shot over them because there was nothing but 40lbs of turkey under where I aimed at their necks...Geo
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/16/10 06:41 PM
To me, you're question is not absolutely clear. If you are saying the patterns are 30% above and 70% below the point of careful aim, from a steady rest, flat down the rib, that appears to be a bit low. Before doing anything, though, I would pattern the gun at a measured 16 yards, standing up and firing as soon as you mount the gun. Shoot at least three shots with each barrel. Then if it still shoots low, decide what to do. The barrels could be bent up or you could raise the comb, as has been suggested. If your 30/70 means the pattern is 30% below and 70% above the point of aim, I would just float the targets a little higher. Bending the barrels would be my last choice.
Posted By: ejsxs Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/17/10 01:30 PM
Texas,

keep in mid that different charges mean ALSO different POI specially in side-by-sides. In my experience my AYA NÂș53 Pigeon Gun 12 Ga prints 90/10% with 28 grams (1 oz.) shot, 80/20% with 32 grams shot, 70/30% with 34 grams shot and 60/40% with 36 grams of shot. According to the late Thomas Garwood there is also a change in POI to the right and left in sides-by-sides depending on level of charge and which barrel is fired.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/17/10 02:00 PM
Slip on a recoil pad, and try again. Moving your face back might be all you need to do.
Posted By: texasbilly Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/18/10 12:08 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, but I am not interested in raising the comb or slipping on a recoil pad. The gun fits fine right now. I want to change the barrels to hit where I aim. Who is the best gunsmith to flex the barrels to raise the POI on SXS barrels?

Tex
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/18/10 01:31 AM
Tex:
With all due respect, what you may well need is a gunfitter/stocker, not a barrel "flexer". Although bending a barrel is an accepted means of achieving what you want, it may be more effectively met by a an expert shop. I'd suggest you drive to Vintagers next month, seek professional help, and heed it.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/18/10 01:34 AM
Tex-Check out Art's website. Then perhaps call them. They should be able to do what you want.
http://artsgunshop.com/site_map_Gunroom_Gunsmithing.htm
Kirk Merrington might be worth a call as well.
Nick Mackinson in Ontario.

It's not a huge task to bend the barrels, but you of course risk rib springing, denting, and need for refinishing. It would need to be done iteratively to get the POI you desire.
Any calculated numerical change might not give you what you want on the first bending. You are looking for pattern with a certain load it would seem.
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/18/10 01:47 AM
Bending SXS shotgun barrels to change POI? Really? Come on guys, you can't be serious. It's much easier and safer to bend the stock. I wonder how many of you really get out of the computer room.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Change POI on SxS shotgun - 08/18/10 02:23 AM
With all due respect, Tex, if the gun doesn't shoot where you look, then it does not fit you. The object of fitting is to dimension the stock such that the gun does, indeed, shoot where you look. I'd strongly recommend against bending the barrels. It can be done, but why take the risk of damage to the single most expensive part of your gun? Stock bending and/or restocking is cheap compared to barrel repair/new barrels.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com