doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Doug Waterman Remington Express Magnum Question..... - 08/08/10 02:51 AM
Folks....I'm sort of sratching my head on this one and wanted to check and see if anyone of you have seen these before.......At a yardsale I came across a full box of 16ga Remington Express Magnums in #2 shot....Factory number that is stamped on the Green/Yellow box is: SP16CMAG-2.
Has anyone ever seen thses loads before?..
Posted By: lagopus Re: Remington Express Magnum Question..... - 08/08/10 11:54 AM
I live in England and collect cartridges. I have a box similar to what you describe but Remington Express 1 1/8th. ounce 2 3/4" cartridges. If it says 3" magnum it will be scarce. 3" chambered 16 bores were made but not many. I have some original Eley 16 bore 3" rounds but am yet to find a magnum chambered 16 bore gun. Just looking and I have two different sorts in different green and yellow boxes. I'm sure some Remington collector will come in on this. Lagopus.....
Posted By: btdtst Re: Remington Express Magnum Question..... - 08/08/10 01:07 PM
If those are 2 3/4" with 1 1/4 ounce of shot (which I am guessing they are) Remington still produces that very same load.
Yep btdtst,
They are 2 3/4 inch with 1-1/4 oz......I learn something new every day......

Thanks guys for the info...-Doug
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Remington Express Magnum Question..... - 08/08/10 02:16 PM
These loads are still made but they don't label them "Magnum" anymore.
They common place in the '50s and '60s.
<<Update>>...I went out to the Remington Site one more time and can't seem to find #2 shot Express Magnums 2 2/3" 1-1/4oz in 16 gauge (they do make'm in 12ga) ... Have they stopped producing this combination just recently?...
(I just want to know whether I should shrink-wrap these puppies for later.....)

Thanks again for your experise....-Doug
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Remington Express Magnum Question..... - 08/08/10 02:40 PM
They very well may not offer them with #2 shot or call them Magnums. At this point in time there is zero demand for #2 lead "goose" loads for a 16 gauge.
I have a whole, 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag full of those same loads in both 12 and 16 gauge, most of them with paper hulls, in lead, number 2 shot. Some Remington and some Federal. I have pondered for years what the hell I'm going to do with them....

Best,
Ted
Varmint callers like em.
Posted By: topgun Re: Remington Express Magnum Question..... - 08/08/10 03:35 PM
I purchasead a box of those same Remington loads in the late sixties; they were green, plastic-ribbed "high brass" shells and came in a green and yellow box as I recall. Don't remember what I used them for; but do remember how hard that old Stevens 311 kicked when shot with those heavy loads.
Yep, Topgun...That's exactly what they are... Now I'm wondering when they stopped making them...

These will go into shrink-wrap for another time/place and possible owners...Thanks again-Doug
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Remington Express Magnum Question..... - 08/09/10 02:44 AM
Federal still makes the Magnum 16 gauge loads.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65677-5.html
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Remington Express Magnum Question..... - 08/09/10 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I have pondered for years what the hell I'm going to do with them....

Ted, you can send the 16 gauges to me.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com