doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/13/10 11:46 PM
Hi all, I've just had a Galazan Silvers Repo pad installed on one of my Brit guns. Looks great.

Anyway, the screw plugs are loose. What do you suggest to tighten/secure them in place? Would rubber cement work?

Thanks all!!

Greg
Posted By: Ron Vella Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 12:15 AM
I've used clear silicone with some success. It's less "permanent" than glues and you can still carefully pick away and remove the plugs in future if you want to remove the pad.
Posted By: eeb Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 12:41 AM
Wrap a couple turns of tape around them and replace. That should tighten 'em up.
Posted By: GJZ Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 01:13 AM
Greg, go the hardware store and find the right 0-ring. Easy in, easy out.
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 01:16 AM
Greg:
The above suggestions are valid (except for the O-ring idea). However, your first mistake was buying a "Silver's Repro pad" from you-know-who. A real Silvers pad would not present this problem. But I understand the price differential. Best get some glue.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: GJZ Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 01:29 AM
What's wrong with using an 0-ring?
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 01:45 AM
GJZ:
Nothing at all. It's just an inelegant (albeit effective) fix for a poorly made pad. Totally discounting the gap it will create between the plug and pad.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: GJZ Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 01:58 AM
Very good.
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 02:04 AM
I might have a solution to your problem: Use heavy sewing thread wrapped around the plug about 1/3 of the way down on the plug. Use enough wraps to build up to a tight fit and pull the ends of the therad under using the same method as wrapping a fishing rod guide. Cut of the ends of the thread short and secure with a drop of Crazy glue. If you still need a tighter fit repeat the process. I use this method for securing the leather covered plugs for leather covered recoil pads and it works very well.

Just a thot!
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 09:25 AM
Silvers pads are still made for the company trading as Kynoch in the UK. I spoke to them at IWA Nurnberg Germany at this years show, they told me that they cost around 30 pounds sterling. Hardly worth putting a repro on a gun.
Post to the US on top of the price is no big deal
Martin
Posted By: eightbore Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 11:21 AM
I put the plugs in a vise for a day or two. Most rubbers will take on a thicker diameter after this treatment. Heating while in the vise may help, but I've not had to go that far.
Posted By: kilibru Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/14/10 02:45 PM
Could you contact CSMC and ask for fatter plugs?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/15/10 11:55 AM
I can picture Lou using a micrometer to measure a sample of plugs attempting to find a pair of "bigguns".
Posted By: gjw Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/15/10 11:03 PM
Hi all, thanks for the many great suggestions. All of them are very helpful.

On a lark I e-mailed Galazan. They said they did have problems with plugs being loose on some of their pads. They are going to send me out some replacement plugs.

I appreciate them backing up one of their products.

Again, thanks!!!

Greg
Posted By: Briarscratch Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/16/10 03:08 PM
Just a sidebar - In an effort to lighten the butt on my 21 with the 1.5" Silvers pad I used a dremel tool to remove as much material as I could.

But the most weight came from the plugs themselves. I cut 2/3 of the plug off, filled the space with some lightweight durable packing foam, and replaced the plugs securing them with some common silicone adhesive. I was able to remove an ounce or two and so far so good. I believe old fashioned rubber cement would have worked as well if not a little better.
Posted By: gjw Re: Silver's Pad Plug Question - 07/16/10 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Briarscratch
Just a sidebar - In an effort to lighten the butt on my 21 with the 1.5" Silvers pad I used a dremel tool to remove as much material as I could.

But the most weight came from the plugs themselves. I cut 2/3 of the plug off, filled the space with some lightweight durable packing foam, and replaced the plugs securing them with some common silicone adhesive. I was able to remove an ounce or two and so far so good. I believe old fashioned rubber cement would have worked as well if not a little better.

Great idea, I like it!!

Thanks!!

Greg
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com