doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good BAKER B OR R? - 07/11/10 05:35 PM
HAVE RECENTLY ACCEPTED CONSIGNMENT OF BAKER SIDE LOCK GUN. CONSIGNER AND PREVIOUS OWNER BOTH SAY IT IS A B GRADE. HOWEVER, IT LOOKS MORE LIKE AN R GRADE GUN TO ME. ANY INFO REGARDING THIS GUN WOULD BE APPRECIATED. PLEASE SEE MY LISTING ON GUNSAMERICA.COM FOR DETAILED DESCRIPTION AND PICTURES.
Posted By: Researcher Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/11/10 07:55 PM
Looks like a B-Grade to me.

The actual text from a 1900 issue of The Baker Gunner -- "We do not guarantee that every "B"( or "A") grade gun will be engraved from just the same design, but endeavor to have about the same amount of engraving on each. On receiving an order from a customer we try to select first, one which will fill the specifications as to gauge, weight, length of barrels, drop and length of stock, and then conform to customer's ideas as to engraving, as nearly as possible from guns we may have in stock, but always consider engraving of secondary importance. You may receive a "B" (or "A") with a different design of border, or a duck or a dog in place of the two quail or a dog pointing game, we cannot tell as it is our aim to give a variety of designs."
Posted By: ed good Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/11/10 08:15 PM
thanks for info. my knowledge of baker guns is limited. are there baker specific reference books in print that you might recommend? as the economy continues to weaken, i am seeing more older guns reappear for sale. there is a baker collection that i may be offering for sale in the near future, so i need to educate myself.
Posted By: Dave Katt Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 01:51 AM
The ser. no. puts in the "B" range. S and R grade guns have a much higher number. Without going to my info and using my memory,"A" and "B" grade guns will be under 8000 in ser. no.
Posted By: ed good Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 02:50 AM
dave: thanks for info.
Posted By: Bushmaster Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 02:59 AM
Isn't this a blatant circumvention of the "For Sale" part of this Forum?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 04:31 AM
It's called trot lining....
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good
HAVE RECENTLY ACCEPTED CONSIGNMENT OF BAKER SIDE LOCK GUN. CONSIGNER AND PREVIOUS OWNER BOTH SAY IT IS A B GRADE. HOWEVER, IT LOOKS MORE LIKE AN R GRADE GUN TO ME. ANY INFO REGARDING THIS GUN WOULD BE APPRECIATED. PLEASE SEE MY LISTING ON GUNSAMERICA.COM FOR DETAILED DESCRIPTION AND PICTURES.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=178607520

You're listing doesn't look to me like a "CONSIGNMENT" to me...looks like the same gun you bought a few weeks back. crazy

Ed isn't the buyer of the gun below on 6/10/2010 you ?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=171806994

Posted By: Dave K Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 03:41 PM
Obviously this is Ed's new marketing technique !
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 04:59 PM
Obviously Ed is looking for a sucker.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 06:52 PM
Dang, jOe that was some good detective work! Might be a good explanation, but what you posted and what Ed posted sure don't jibe...Geo
Posted By: Dennis Wolfe Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 07:13 PM
Lucy, opps I mean ed good you have some splainin to do.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 07:24 PM
'Trotlining' is no punishable offense around here. Think how often often you see an interesting discussion on this forum about a particular gun and then a coupla weeks later it appears on the 'for sale' forum. Its just drumming up interest. Might be gaming the system a little, but not against any rule I know about.

If Dave thinks a poster is using his website to advertize an auction on another site, he knows how to lock down the thread. If its not a consignment though, why say it is?...Geo
Posted By: PA24 Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
'Trotlining' is no punishable offense around here.

If its not a consignment though, why say it is?...Geo

"A trotline is a fishing line with baited hooks attached at intervals by means of branch lines called snoods. A snood is a short length of line which is attached to the main line using a clip or swivel, with the hook at the other end. A trotline can be set so it covers the width of a river, channel or.... " BBS " ...with baited hooks and can be left unattended"........... wink
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 09:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Dang, jOe that was some good detective work! Might be a good explanation, but what you posted and what Ed posted sure don't jibe...Geo

Looks like the same gun to me.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 10:43 PM
George Ed is a Dealer/FFL obviously selling on this website. As you know it is against the rules for dealers to list guns here on the classifieds. Ed has been called on that. Now he is not trotlining, he is advertising guns under a not-so-clever ruse.

If Ed wants to join the advertisers here he can list his guns in the appropriate section.

Since you are not a dealer when you "trotline" here it is not against the rules.

Best,

Mike
Posted By: ed good Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 11:48 PM
too my critics: if you can tear yourselves away from egg sucking for a moment, then reread the first post of this thread. there is a major clue there that makes you look even more foolish than usual!
Posted By: ed good Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/13/10 11:54 PM
for those of you who have an interest in early american sxs shotgun history and development, take a look at the early baker, item 9796760, listed on auctionarms.com. this is the first one of these i have ever seen. how about you?
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/14/10 12:44 AM
Ed I am sure many of us here were born at night. But I am also sure it wasn't last night.

Mike
Posted By: ed good Re: BAKER B OR R? - 07/14/10 03:56 AM
are you sure? it was pretty dark last night....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com