doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jorge Ranger Chief 16 ga - 06/04/10 04:13 PM
Looked at a 16 ga SXS BL last Sunday at a flea mkt marked Ranger Chief on the case hardened action and little else anywhere on the gun. It was in super condition, but the seller warned all lookers that after firing any brand of shells it is nigh impossible to open and extract. Secondly, after the forend is removed, it can't be broken in the conventional manner. Seller suspects last owner took down and didn't reassemble properly. This is no Parker for sure, but it seems solid for $200 or less. Anyone know what this thing is and what might be ailing it? Top lever is way to the right, action tight and looks virtually unfired. Jorge
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ranger Chief 16 ga - 06/04/10 06:44 PM
Sears used the Ranger name for quite some time. Most doubles were made either by Stevens or Hunter Arms (Fulton), although I think we've also found some Ranger-marked Lefever Nitro Specials (made by Ithaca). However, the "Chief" part throws me. Can't recall ever having seen "chief" along with Ranger.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Ranger Chief 16 ga - 06/04/10 06:55 PM
Thanks Larry. Ranger Chief is in pretty large script....sort of like Red Ryder. It's a tricky little mechanism when you remove the forend. It has a sort of lever that dangles down and has to be put in place just so. It just doesn't seem to want to break down without forcing something.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Ranger Chief 16 ga - 06/04/10 08:39 PM
Jorge,
Usually the problem that causes a SXS to stick shut after firing are firing pin(s)not retracting from the primer.
Steve
Posted By: Jorge Re: Ranger Chief 16 ga - 06/04/10 08:48 PM
Thanks Steve. I'll take a look at that possibility if it's still around on Sunday.
Posted By: foxhound Re: Ranger Chief 16 ga - 06/04/10 10:32 PM
I've seen a pic of a Ranger Chief recently; there is one for sale somewhere as we speak, but I can't remember where ?(gunbroker,AA,gunsamerica??). It is a Stevens for sure.
Ricki
Posted By: Patriot USA Re: Ranger Chief 16 ga - 06/05/10 07:25 PM
Mis-alighnment of the extractor rods can also cause hard opening after firing or gunked up extractor rod. See if the extractor rod moves freely the full length of travel.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com