doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sliver Hearing protection - 05/12/10 09:07 PM
I know this has been discussed often in the past, but I cannot find anything related on the search function. I wonder if one of you has a link to previous discussions or just an opinion about what's available.
I am interested in a system that allows normal level sound and noise to be heard, but blocks the higher intensity ones.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Hearing protection - 05/12/10 09:23 PM
I have been using Peltor "SportTac" head sets. They will amplify low intensity sounds and shield from high intensity. I find them quite ideal. They come with either an over-the-top band or a behind-the-head band.

Brent
Posted By: Sliver Re: Hearing protection - 05/12/10 09:36 PM
Brent,

Thanks for your message. Don't they interfere with the butt of your guns. It seems to me that whenever I use the ear muffs the stock pushes them up and off the ears.
I prefer the "plug" style.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Hearing protection - 05/12/10 09:55 PM
Generally no. I used them last weekend in a Creedmoor match which is shot prone and if ever something was to push on the ear muffs that would. I have even used them with my highwall that has a reverse drop at the heal, and thus a VERY high comb and it works fine. Might be my ears are different than yours, of course. I have had them touch if I have bad form, but only then, and never pushing them off. And only handguns are less likely than shotties to have this issue in my experience.

Anyway, it works for me and has some excellent side benefits under some match conditions.

Brent
Posted By: rabbit Re: Hearing protection - 05/12/10 10:57 PM
Peltor Tactical 6 has scallop in the shell which avoids the interference problem. I shoot low gun skeet and have never had a problem mounting. If they arrive with the scallop at top, it's easy to flip earcups to place the scallop down. They also allow conversation thru the filter and so are trapper friendly if you're pulling or just jabbering between stations. Lot of better, expensive, bragging rights stuff around no doubt but these are usually discounted between 60-80$. I've had mine for 9 yrs. and they have proved durable. There's also a variant with a "behind the head" bow if you don't like the standard on top of the cap look. I despise ear plugs of every persuasion!!!! My ears spit em out regularly.

jack
Posted By: Replacement Re: Hearing protection - 05/12/10 11:27 PM
Depends on what and how you are shooting. I'd never hunt with muffs (way too hot) but I do know duck hunters who use muffs. I prefer analog electronic custom plugs for hunting, but all the manufacturers seem to be going full digital. NRA is/was offering a great deal on digital custom plugs from Starkey, through your audiologist, around $600/pair. There are a couple of current discussions of protection on the Shooting Sportsman BBS.

http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42482&start=0

http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42590&start=0
Posted By: Doverham Re: Hearing protection - 05/13/10 02:32 AM
Sliver - I was given a pair to Howard Leight electronic earmuffs for Christmas. They worked great, except that they interfered with my gunmount, even though they have low profile cups. I guess it must be a YMMV thing. It looks like electronic earplugs are the best alternative, but they are considerably more expensive. Since I have been spending all my money on guns, I will have to use low tech foam plugs for now.
Posted By: OB Re: Hearing protection - 05/13/10 04:48 PM
I use this one: http://www.sensgard.com/ It does everything it claims to do. Shooting high power centerfire on a covered benchrest is absolutely no problem and you can hear normal converstion easily.

OB
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Hearing protection - 05/13/10 05:04 PM
I prefer the simple plugs. I like the Express Pod Plugs, from E.A.R. They look like mushrooms or umbrellas, a half-round plug on a plastic stem. I tried the electronic muffs and they work as advertised but are hot in warm weather. I gave up using them. The plugs mentioned above do not require rolling up before installing and are easy and quick to remove between rounds of skeet. I only have one ear that works so a few pairs last me a very long time. They can also be cleaned with soap and water. I know muffs offer better protection but I didn't like them. I think the muffs I have are called Pro-Ears. I also bought an electronic hearing aid plug type but the wind noise was very annoying. Don't use it anymore, either.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com