doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 686man How to date a Lefever by serial number? - 01/05/10 10:18 PM
Does anyone know where I can find out the age of a Lefever by the serial number?
Posted By: Steve I. Re: How to date a Lefever by serial number? - 01/05/10 11:34 PM
If it's an Ithaca Lefever Walter C. Snyder is your man otherwise a contact to the Lefever forum would do the trick.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: How to date a Lefever by serial number? - 01/06/10 12:18 AM
Other than the Ithacas built as Lefever Arms Co guns there are no absolutes on the original Lefevers. By the SN & a general description of it, pics would be better, we can give you some guideliles, either here or at the Lefever forum.
686man, since no factory records are presently known for the Lefever Arms Co., you can only hope for an approximate age based on the serial number and characteristics of the gun. Even then, Lefevers were often assembled years after the individual parts were manufactured. For instance, I once had a Lefever G ejector gun in 16 ga. that should have been produced about 1892ish according to the serial number. However the gun bore a patent date of 1907!

You'll be able to learn a lot more about your Lefever at the Lefever Forum, http://lefeverforum.informe.com .
Following up on Larry's example, I also have a Lefever which by serial # should be about 1900, but it has a 1907 patent date. There are even more extreme examples out there, as Larry mentioned in his example. I know of another gun serial numbered as fits an 1890 production date which clearly has features that were not available until 1898.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com