doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RyanF Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/07/09 11:51 PM
My question is in regards to the reproduction silvers type pad from CSMC. http://www.csmcspecials.com/category_s/18.htm

How are the rubber screw hole plugs held in? I figured they would be a snug fit. They are not snug. The plugs shipped with the pad are slightly smaller than the blockout holes for the screws. The plugs fall out.

Am I missing something? If I glue them in, they pad is on forever. Could they have shipped me the wrong plugs? Or, is the extra space intentional to account for a leather covering?

Thanks!
Posted By: Dennis Wolfe Re: Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/07/09 11:57 PM
I have installed a few and they were all tight fitting.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/07/09 11:58 PM
Ryan,
Send the pad back to CSMC. If you have to have a repro pad, I would probably look hard into the pads from Griffin & Howe. Ih have not been too fond of the CSMC repro Silvers pads. If it was my gun..I would go with the original Silvers pad. I also really like the new pads from NECG, they are really nice.
Posted By: Geno Re: Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/08/09 09:52 AM
I bought 4 right period pads from Galazan, all 4 were ok. Send them back, if plugs loose and ask to send good one.
Posted By: Ithaca16 Re: Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/08/09 12:50 PM
Send it back to them. I have before.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/08/09 07:24 PM
A couple years back I bought a Silvers pad (not Silvers-like) to replace an 80-year old Silvers. The orginal plugs are cylindrical and are a friction fit - push them in until they're flush and go shooting. The new model has slighly tapered plugs. I ground the bottom off a bit so the plugs could go in deep enough to grip and then went shooting.
If your plugs at least visually fill the holes, how about a wipe of rubber cement to keep them in place?
The only Galazan pad I'm familiar with is the lumpy Ithaca reproduction.
Posted By: RyanF Re: Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/08/09 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input.

I bought the pad from MidwayUSA, not directly from Galazan. I emailed Midway about the problem, and they are sending a new pad.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/09/09 01:32 PM
Have you tried compressing the plugs in a vise for a day or two? I remember doing that, but don't remember whether the plugs stayed compressed or not.
I just put one on yesterday. Got it direct from Tony. The plugs were tight, but this was an inch and a half pad, and the plugs were one inch. I used shell wads to pick up the gap.
Posted By: cowboys1388 Re: Correct period recoil pad from CSMC - 12/09/09 02:34 PM
I had one put on by a gunsmith, he recommended it he said he put on hundreds of them. When they are properly installed(and the plugs look perfect to me)according to there instructions, round the edges, buff with Vaseline, light coat of varnish. It looks exactly like the old original silvers pad not the new ones. I sold it to a very well known gun dealer, he committed that the gun still had the original pad on. I guess that is what we are looking for.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com