doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Anton Help with Westley Richards proof marks please. - 09/20/06 09:35 PM
The following photo is of the proof marks of a Westley Richards boxlock purportedly manufactured in 1922. Since the photo is rather large, I have posted a link rather than the actual picture.

http://homepage.mac.com/scottandlaurie/.Pictures/Westley%20Richards/IMGP3894.JPG

Note the bore diameter marked as .740". Is this a re-proof after honing? When do the marks on the barrel flats date from? What information can you "read" from these proofs?

Thank you in advance for any information or opinions you may have to offer.

Anton
Reproved in Birmingham much later than the '20s. These are 1954 rule marks. Date code is marked on the flats, but I can't read the first letter of the code. The date code mark is the crossed swords with the letters at 9 and 3 o'clock. Looks like VB or YB. VB is 1970, YB is 1973. If this is a later proof of a '20s gun, there will be a view mark (crown over BV) on the water table. If the gun was made after 2/1/55, there won't be.
-------------------------------------------------"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Original marks appear to be stamped on the bottom of the barrels, forward of the flats, but are hard to make out. They appear to be 1904 rule 1 1/4 oz marks with bore marked as 12, so yeah, at .740", they appear to have been honed.
-------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Thank you, kind sir. I have proven to be particularly hopeless at deciphering British proof marks.

Anton
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com