doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lucian 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 09:12 PM
Some help from those who know ... I am interested in a sxs, hammer,16ga,looks all ori but no blue..... silver barrels in photo and the owner does not know if lam, twist, dam...all types or fluid steel, the photos are not clear to see if pattern and owner thinks steel but does not know for sure 2,000 miles apart ...... on the top of bar is "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" and I saw somewhere on site a ref to a twist barrel book ..... I assumed the Nik Szailer Comp Wien may have something to do with twist bar.... etc ? ... when I tried to translate it was more like a ad quality made in Vien...... could they be steel? ... can you hold them and tap with hammer to tell diff....... tks in advance ...... ps he is asking $899.00 how to know value? (books, study) ..... yes I am novice.......
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 10:09 PM
Lucian:

I think it is for Nikolas(?) Szailer Company(?) of Wien(Vienna). I've seen several pattern welded tube guns with his name atop the rib and I think he may have been a firearms merchant as the few I've seen had barrel stamps/initials that seem to be sourced from Suhl.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 10:23 PM
An interesting acid etched 2 iron crolle barrel with the rib marked "NIK. SZAILER COMP. WIEN"

Posted By: PeteM Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 10:33 PM
Lucian,

The barrels are damascus. There were several different ways a damascus barrel could be "finished". The Germans seem to have preferred an acid etch. In addition to the example above, there is one with the etch finish here.
http://damascus-barrels.com/Finish_Restore.html

Is this the gun you are talking about? The "Nicht Fur Kugel" is "Not for Ball", essentially that means the gun is choked.
https://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130216588

Pete
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 10:35 PM
Here's one of his 1908 and/or 1909 Catalogues that would be a nice pairing: http://www.antikvariaty.cz/index.php?act...amp;words=haupt (3rd one down).

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Lucian Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 11:49 PM
Yes ... I have not look up history of co ...... but in process.....
Posted By: Lucian Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 11:50 PM
Thank you ....... blur photo could be as shown .......
Posted By: Lucian Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 11:52 PM
Yes this is the one ...... I will pass, I do like the steel bar ...... I will post a new inquire on another sxs.......
Posted By: Lucian Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/09/09 11:53 PM
Thank you I have my reading to do ... before I jump ......
Posted By: montenegrin Re: 16 ga sxs "Nik Szailer Comp Wien" - 06/20/09 09:25 AM
Hello Raimey,
That is a fine catalog you found, if a bit pricey...
With kind regards,
Jani
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com