doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Cody Clay throwers - 04/23/09 08:47 PM
Anyone have any experience with a Do all aerial assault AA7777 clay thrower?. Pro's, cons. Any other suggestions for an economical auto thrower?.

Thanks
Cody
Posted By: GregSY Re: Clay throwers - 04/23/09 08:50 PM
No, but there is nothing better IMO than the cheap red plastic ones you can buy for $5. You just need someone who has an arm and knows how to use it.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 12:13 AM
You would have far more enjoyment out of taking a Habenero pepper, scoring it, lubricating it with olive oil, inserting it into your anal orifice, than you would have with one of these...I went through at LEAST 6 six SIX, of these things before I quit for good. I bought a Champion and it aint never failed. The doall (nothing) was lucky to throw 10 rocks without breaking....
Posted By: GregSY Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 01:13 AM
" You would have far more enjoyment out of taking a Habenero pepper, scoring it, lubricating it with olive oil, inserting it into your anal orifice, than you would have with one of these"

and here I thought I was the only one who enjoyed that!
Posted By: jeweler Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 03:14 AM
Cody
I had one of the first aerial assault and it seemed ok.It would actually fling out a target and it would be nice if you do not have a club around.I have a Pat trap with a wobble and thought it would be a neat addition and it was , we are just lazy the Pat takes about three minutes to set up and holds 535 targets. I think athe aerial assault holds about 50. Cheap fun!
Posted By: APS Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 03:39 AM
Cody,

Dollar for dollar nothing beats a Promatic. They have several consumer units, great service and excellent service life.

You will buy a Promatice once and it will last.

al
Posted By: jjames Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 03:43 AM
I have one and an early one at that. I like it NOW. It took a bit of tweaking and grinding to get it to reliably singulate targets. It could uses some more improvements:
Easier loading the first clay.
Better de-cocking method
Off-centered magazine rod holes to adjust for target
diameters
but at this point it reliably throws good targets.

Don't know anything about the wobbler kit or remote switch
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 12:14 PM
My Aerial Assault, as I said, was an insult. Burned out switches, motors, replacement kits, phone calls, adjustments, replacement traps, a horror story. Last time I checked Ebay, there were a lot of them on there at give away prices. I bought a Champion EZ bird Autofeed, from Howells Shooting Supply (334) 393 2843. Great people, Ez Bird was less money than the Insult. A tree fell on my Trap and Howells had replacment parts out in 3 days. I use mine EVERY day. Not a problem except there is one brand of Rock it doesnt like....
Posted By: Cody Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 10:09 PM
Thanks guys. I found a few other reviews on the net and most are not favourable. LD, what kind of bird does your thrower dislike?

Cody
Posted By: QTRHRS Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 10:13 PM
When I first saw the price on the Do-All I figured something was amiss. Did my homework and found a long thread on Shotgun World. First half of the thread was full of complaints about the product and being ignored about service. At that point the Pres. posted acknowledging the problems with the product and service. He said call and we'll fix it. Most of the balance of the thread indicated a different experience for buyers so I took the plunge. First trap (I now have two) required three shipments of parts that arrived with great speed and no charge. I agree with anyone who observes you should not have to go through this on a new product. When I bought my second one the seller could not tell me if the trap had the updates that I had installed on the first. Called Do-All and the VP said he was sure it would but if it didn't they would replace it. The people I talked to were beyond gracious.

Threw a 135 clay case a few days ago with one broken bird and this is typical for both traps. Way to much fun for the money.
Posted By: ChiefShotguns Re: Clay throwers - 04/24/09 10:26 PM
One of the previous posters suggested the cheap plastic hand held throwers. They do work fine for someone with a stout arm, but let me issue a caveat. I also have used one for years, mostly in conjunction with an automatic stack loaded thrower of some kind just to give multiple presentations, but sometimes alone. On my last opportunity to chunk a few birds with one of them, in striving to get "just a bit more" altitude, I completely tore the tendon loose from it's mooring in the bone of my elbow, as well as tore the tendon itself. Had the surgery, etc., and all the therapy afterwards. Lemme' tell ya' I won't EVER use one again. Donno why the arm decided to let go this time when it's always been fine before, but I use a stack thrower now, not sure of the brand, it's my son's machine.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Clay throwers - 04/25/09 05:01 AM
The last (and only time) I used one of those hand held throwers, I was standing on the river bank trying to throw them out over the water for my son to shoot at and I had a hard time hitting the river. Ouch!!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Clay throwers - 04/25/09 10:01 PM
Those plastic hand throwers are fine for strong young arms but shouldn't be attempted by the more mature sportsman. Attached with duct tape to a golf club handle (stick-birds) they will fire a clay pigeon at surprising speeds...Geo
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Clay throwers - 04/26/09 04:46 PM
And you clay bird fiends want a real challange- Orvis used to sell a Ritz Cracker hand trap thrower thingy- like all the orvis stuff, it's a "Yuppie Playground"- We have one- bought from Natchez- hand cocking with adjustable tension spring- alum. blade with rubber groove- will take two std. targets- and I welded it into an older truck tire that had a metal frame bolted through the lug holes- a farm "freebie"- so it is stable and the el rinko metal "hold down stakes" are not needed- those look good on the drawing board, but all ground and terrain is different in the USA- so what might hold in sand won't even dent hardpan-we have found the elevation transit works fine, and by varying the placement of the std. clay, we can change the flight pattern- we don't buy cases of orange clays- 135 per carton I believe- we have a gun club with both a trap and skeet field that buffers State (as in open to the public) land so we go there on non-weekend shooting days and salvage the unbroken clays that have landed in the unmowed grass- sort of a LZ for "missed birdies"- BUT- no clay target, IMO, can give you the practice of either barn pigeons or crows in a crosswind- RWTF
Posted By: RMC Re: Clay throwers - 04/27/09 04:43 AM
I know most are talking about the trap machines, but my comments will be regarding the available hand models. George is right on about extending the handle on the plastic tossers. A two hand grip on the extension and you have a teal riding a downwind. Brother and I have had contests on who could chuck it the farthest. Without the extension, you are a threat to bystanders and the shooter. Our experience has been the old Winchester and Remington hand traps are the best. Preference is to the Remington model that has the folding carrier. Once getting the knack, it throws a good presentation with the best accuracy of any handheld. Winchester with the mid mounted coil spring is pretty good, needs a good arm, not as accurate as the Remington, but good none the less. Rem and Win can be found at most sporting goods, antique shop, and E-bay always has a bunch. Just my opinion. Randy
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com