doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Victor23 Need advice on re-checkering stock - 04/18/09 02:01 AM
I recently picked up a nice side lock marked ANC.ETABL PIEPER HERSTAL, On the Barrel is the horseman with Bayard underneath.

The gun is in great condition with the exception of the checkering. Someone took a really nice stock and sanded on the checkering. In some places the lines are visible but not raised. In other places it is completely gone.

Would it be worth having the stock recheckered? Would the cost exceed the value of the gun?

I have checkering tools and have touched checkering up. This seems beyond my skill level.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Need advice on re-checkering stock - 04/18/09 02:26 AM
I checker my own guns and have for many years. If a good many of the lines are sanded off it might be better to remove the entire pattern and put a new pattern on it. I would have to closely check it to determine. Maybe there is someone near you who could check your gun out? bobby
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: Need advice on re-checkering stock - 04/18/09 02:48 AM
Victor-
If this gun isn't an heirloom that demands restoration quality and the missing pattern is fairly simple why not take it on yourself?
If you take your time and lay out the remaining pattern, you could take your single line tool and carefully put the checkering back on the gun yourself. If you've already experienced cleaning up checkering, you've seen up-close how good checkering is supposed to look like.
Secure your wood solidly, get a close look to your work, TAKE YOUR TIME,and STOP AND REST WHEN YOU GET TIRED....
You will be surprised how rewarding it is to do it yourself.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com