doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: luckydog Is this gun doomed? - 10/12/08 09:36 PM
A guy here in the valley has this fairly nice Belgium gun with a missing fore-end. (iron & all) it is an ejector gun, to furthur complicate the issue.
Is it worth fixing, or is it scrap?

Posted By: james-l Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/12/08 09:42 PM
Todd it is a piece of junk send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. Seriously I have a Francotte ejector forend that might work on it, just the metal. Contact me if you want to try it for fit.

Jim
Posted By: eightbore Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/12/08 11:11 PM
It may have maker's marks on the water tables. Clearer pictures would be neccesary to identify those marks. Many similar guns are in fact made by Francotte and could benefit from Francotte parts. More pictures please.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 02:19 AM
That is most likely a pretty classy gun. It can be fixed. It will not be cheap to fix most likely. Unless the guy wants to spend some money, he will probably want to sell it to someone who knows how and is willing to fix it.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 03:10 AM
I LOVE this guns engraving pattern, it reminds me alot of the "new" Watson Bros. house engraving style they scratch on their beautiful and elegant round body SLE. This is a nice gun, but like the rocketman said....it can be fixed..it will be expensive, I am thinking maybe forend metal that is in the white from either Spain (most likely) or Italy could be shaped, fitted and finished to work with this gun. I shiver at the thought of this job though, the cost would be somewhere in the $1500 to $2500 price range (new wood, new metal, all the time fitting and shaping..and then finishing)
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 12:12 PM
Quite possibly a considerable savings might be realized by ignoring the ejectors & simply fitting it up as an extractor, just a thought.
Posted By: luckydog Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 01:56 PM
Another negative with this gun, it comes with apparently original 25" BBL's. That would be a deal killer for me.
I suggested that he find a gunsmith that was looking for a project gun, and take whatever he can get.
Posted By: luckydog Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 02:18 PM
Originally Posted By: james-l
Todd it is a piece of junk send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. Seriously I have a Francotte ejector forend that might work on it, just the metal. Contact me if you want to try it for fit.

Jim

Jim, could you PM me, and we'll take a look at the FE iron you have.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 02:20 PM
This doesn't help your friend fix his problem but I'm always curious. How inhell do you lose a forearm?
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 02:23 PM
I saw a Parker DHE forend (iron and wood) on a Linder Daily. The fit was right, the function was right, but the checkering and tip sure looked strange to me. I doubt if many people noticed it.
bill
Posted By: luckydog Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
This doesn't help your friend fix his problem but I'm always curious. How inhell do you lose a forearm?

I don't know, probably someone dies while gun is apart, well meaning friends and relatives try to dispose of the gun collection, come across the FE, don't know where or what, the rest is history.
Same thing goes triple for 2nd BBLs of 2 BBL sets.
It wouldn't hurt for all of us to keep written gun safe inventories, with details clearly spelled out.
Posted By: james-l Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 06:37 PM
Todd PM sent, if it doesn't work my email is in my profile.

Jim
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 07:22 PM
I would see if the guy can find the forend because it could get expensive- more than the gun is worth. I would also try other gun forends to see if something comes close. Would a Superposed forend go on it? I would check that out, too. How much is the guy asking for the gun? You didn't mention that.
Posted By: JimfromTrafalgar Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 07:25 PM
In response to how one could lose a complete forend, I know several who separate the two in case of theft. As one friend puts it," at least the guy who took it is screwed as well".
Jim
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/13/08 10:42 PM
Quote:
Would a Superposed forend go on it? I would check that out, too.

Kinda hard to fit a Superposed forend to a SxS I think.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Is this gun doomed? - 10/14/08 02:16 AM
And even if forends from Supers could somehow fit Cindy Sidebyside, none have been lost, misplaced, or even removed as a breakdown ritual. People do lose forends; they also try to use the wrong one when they switch barrels on those fancy two-gauge sets. I wonder how many the Brit auction houses misplace, misreplace, etc. after a viewing?

jack
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com