doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Mann Shipping antique to and from Canada ??? - 09/25/08 06:37 PM
If you know, please tell me how much red tape is involved in shipping a SxS, circa 1870, to and from Canada.
Gun to be shipped to Mich. FFL and paper work done by him.
Should this take long? Be a problem with our Feds. or Canadian Feds.?

Thanks in advance.
Best,
John
I am obviously of no help, but wanted to know I sent you an email back. Let me know what kind of trouble you are getting into now!
TO CANADA: It is a problem!!! I have a finished repair in my Vault thats been there 18 months awaiting pick up. Cant be shipped!!In the US it's recognized as an antique pre 1898 and thus can be shipped about anywhere local state laws permit.As soon as it hits the border its a gun and cant be shipped to Canada. It can be transported across by the owner if he has it on his Canadian Licence or a Canadian Firearms dealer but not delivered by a US resident and left there.Suggest you try working with USdealer and Nick Makinson or have the Canadian get it on their licence and then pick it up.
From Canada dont know but if they can mail it and describe it as an antique you should have no problems with US Customs
Posted By: Dave K Re: Shipping antique to and from Canada ??? - 09/26/08 12:05 AM
Not sure how much help here either John but I have had gun parts,luger mags, shipped from Canada with no issues.You might want to call Joe Salter he does quite a bit of importing to the states from Canada and is in Bedford I think ,he does exporting too of pre 1898 guns according to his website:
http://www.joesalter.com/

Hope there are more partridge over your way then I am flushing here
Best,
Dave
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Shipping antique to and from Canada ??? - 09/26/08 04:26 AM
John,
I've bought two guns from Canada. Both took quite some time. The first was a LC Smith from a private party and it took several tries over two years and some change. The U.S. side was easy and relatively quick. The Canadian Firearms side was essentially nonfunctional.

On the second purchase, I bought from brick and mortar dealer. They promised a quick approval and shipnent and stated they did it routinely and it took on average 6 weeks. It took over 6 months to get Canadian Firearms approval to export. Again the U.S. side was prompt.
Posted By: CJO Re: Shipping antique to and from Canada ??? - 09/26/08 01:10 PM
John,..give Wesley a call at Ellwood Epps... 705 689 5333
He should be able to help you

CJ
John, I sold a mint dated 1800 Brown Bess musket to an antique dealer in Connecticutt. No problems. It went from Nova Scotia to Toronto to Buffalo to destination in jig-time.

The Buffalo people were really clued in, according to Canada Customs. The musket wasn't registered, of course. Our firearms registry also told me it doesn't care where we send our registered guns in the US for repairs or whatever---the problem is getting them back.

When I inquire at the famed gunshop near you they won't even talk to me. They say it's a waste of time. However, I had one beautiful Fox sent to me by a southern gentleman marked shotgun clearly on the declaration label and it was delivered to my door. I doubt it could happen again.

Warm regards, King
John,

there's a real sharp guy at the ATF. He's based in West Virginia. An excellent man who knows the ins and outs of this thing. He simplified the whole process for a friend. I suggest you get ahold of him.

I also have the number for his counterpart on the Canadian side. Let me know if you want any this info, the names and phone numbers of these gentlemen.

We literally just walked an old Savage rifle across the border and shipped it to his FFL for processing.
Exporting registered long guns from Canada to most States in the U.S.A.is not a problem,regardless of date of manufacture.The proceedure is as follows:
The purchaser in the U.S.A.retains a licenced dealer to act as his agent. The dealer then applies to A.F.T.for a permit to import the gun into the U.S.A. This permit may take upto 6 weeks to obtain. On the Canadian side,no export permit is required for transfers to the U.S.A [ie: but may be required for some other countries].
Once the seller is in possession of the U.S.A.export permit, the gun can be mailed by Canada post to the U.S.A. The export permit must be attached to the exterior of the package. The Canadian seller must then provide the Canadian Firearms Centre with evidence that the gun has been permanently exported.On receipt of same the gun will be removed from the Canadian licence holders records.
Cross border shipments of guns that will chamber current ammunition, "regardless of date of manufacture", is is a problem! Canadian regulations require pre-registration of all such guns![ ie;.410,28,20,16,12,10G.and all current rifle calibres.]
Obsolete sizes such as 32,8,&4,G; pinfire,obsolete rimfires and all antique muzzle loading guns, rifles and pistols do not require registration in Canada.
Canadian firearms regulations allow for cross border shipments for repair etc; Suggest you contact the Canadian Firearms centre for advice. As an alternative Canadian gunmakers Nick Mackinson or Les Paul may be be prepared to offer advice as they are familiar with current proceedures.
Posted By: James M Re: Shipping antique to and from Canada ??? - 09/27/08 11:24 PM
RoY:
What about shipping pistols that our on our C&R list from Canada?
I am thinking of guns like Pre WW II Colts and Lugers examples.
Jim
Thanks fellows. I appreciate your help.
As I understand it, there should be no problems simply sending a circa 1870 muzzle loader to Canada.
I do not expect it to be sent back as it is one great gun.
Best regards,
John
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com