doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: james-l How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 03:26 AM
Ran across this on A/A today. Never could understand why something with a serial # needs to be marked like this???

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8788191
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 03:33 AM
There are a lot of certified idiots in the world. Nowadays, people are unnecessarily(IMO) paranoid about giving out their SSN.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 04:00 AM
JDP was proud of that damn # and wanted to make sure it could not be removed w/o leaving a bald spot.
Posted By: Brian Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 04:42 AM
Can you say IDENTITY THEFT?

Its a nice gun.
Posted By: lagopus Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 09:39 AM
An old live pigeon trap gun by the looks of it. Worthy of restoration if that number could be erased. Pre 1904 black powder proof marks. I like the bit where it describes Jeffrey as a'high end Maker'; one thing Jeffery did and that is he never made a gun in his life, all were bought in from other Makers and finished off by Jeffrey. Still, he had a reputation to maintain so you don't see many bad ones. Lagopus.....
Posted By: lagopus Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 09:56 AM
Except for the side clips; here's its twin:

My example was in worse condition when I got it. It did stand 2 3/4" nitro proof without a hitch and was then restored. Slightly different engraving but much the same. This one was made for Jeffrey by the Midland Gun Company of Birmingham. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 10:08 AM
I would just about bet that if you were good enough, or you found someone with the right equipment, you could take that out. I am wondering if someone could engrave that out. Or with the right matting machine remove it. I wonder if Ken Hurst could remove it.
Post deleted by Run With The Fox
Posted By: ohiosam Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 11:56 AM
You can go here
http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
type in the # and find the who guy was.
Posted By: JayCee Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 01:38 PM
Nice gun. How much should it fetch?

JC
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 06:56 PM
That was a big thing in Denver in the seventies.Cops would come to your house and engrave everything,tv,vcr guns ect for your protection.Saw many a fine gun on the gun show circut engraved that way.Worst I ever saw was a grounp of about twenty FN Browning bolt actions all woith the same SSN number
Posted By: Tyler Re: How to make a grown man cry - 09/05/08 10:24 PM
In the book Reflections, Man and Boy, by our good friend from down under, there is a story about a man who ordered an English best and then took steel punches and crudely stamped his name in the sidelock as I recall. It takes all kinds.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com